Venezuelan Economic Growth 1970-2005
Friday, 28 April
PART I: The growth experience
11:00 – 11:20 AM Coffee Break
PART II: Determinants of economic growth
11:20 AM – 12:00 PM "International
migration in Venezuela and the Growth Collapse"
Dean Yang and Dan Levy
Comment: Michael Kremer
12:00-12:40 PM “Much Higher Schooling, Much Lower Wages: Human Capital
and Economic Collapse in Venezuela”
Lant Pritchett and Daniel Ortega
Comment: Fernando Reimers
12:40-2:00 PM Lunch
PART III: Policy choices and growth performance
Macroeconomic policy and macroeconomic institutions
Roberto Rigobón and Maria Antonia Moreno (UCV)
Comment: Ricardo Hausmann and Francisco Rodríguez
3:20-4:00 PM "Income
Distribution and Redistribution in an oil-rich economy: the case of Venezuela"
Samuel Freije (UDLA-Puebla)
Comment: Ernesto Schargrodsky
4:00-4:20 PM Coffee Break
4:20-5:00 PM "Structural
changes in the Venezuelan labor markets As a consequence of labor regulations"
Adriana Bermúdez (UCV) and Omar Bello
Comment: Joyce Jacobsen
5:00-5:40 PM "Understanding Economic Growth in Venezuela: 1970-2005 - The
Comment: Michael Klein
7:00 PM Dinner
SATURDAY, 29 April
PART IV: The broader view: politics, society and economic decline
9:00-9:40 AM “The Political Economy of Industrial Policy in Venezuela”
Comment: Asim Ijaz Khwaja
10:20-10:40 AM Coffee Break
Rooms have been reserved for out-of-town participants at the Sheraton Commander Hotel on Garden Street in Cambridge, MA.
Directions from the Sheraton Commander Hotel (11 Garden St.) to the Kennedy School of Government (79 JFK St.):
Estimated time: 10 minutes
• Begin at 11 Garden St., Sheraton Commander Hotel.
• From the hotel entrance, turn RIGHT and walk down Garden St. towards Harvard Square and the Cambridge Common Green. The Common will be on your left.
• Continue on sidewalk as it veers to the right into Harvard Square. You’ll pass Church St. on your right.
• The road will fork by the news stand and near the Bank of America. Cross the street and walk down JFK Street. Walk three blocks. The Kennedy School will be on your right, on the corner of JFK Street and Eliot Street.
• Turn RIGHT at the Eliot Street/JFK Street intersection and cross the street. The Kennedy School Courtyard is 10 meters further on your left.
Getting to the Perkins room:
For FRIDAY’S Session:
• Walk into the courtyard, stay to the right. Enter through the Rubenstein Building door, the right most entrance. The stairs and elevator are to the right once you enter. Go up to the 4th floor. The Perkins room is #415. [Map of Rubenstein Building]
For SATURDAY’S Session:
• You MUST enter through the Littauer Building. This is the only
open entrance to the school. [Map
of Littauer Building]
• Walk into the courtyard, and continue down the center path. Enter through the Littauer Building doors.
• You will need to sign in at the security guard station. Please wait for the rest of the group in this main lobby, and we will all go up together at 8:50 AM (there are locked fire doors en route that will need to be opened).
• Should you arrive late, please wait in the main lobby and call Melissa at 203-641-9406 (Perkins Room number: 617-496-0117).
For everyone: Reimbursement Information Form
For Non-U.S. Citizens: Foreign National Information Form