The Anwarul Quadir Prize
Global Essay Contest for Bangladesh
the Center for International Development at Harvard University
Sponsored by the Anwarul Quadir Foundation
2008 Quadir Prize Essay Winner
Propose an innovative and practical idea that would improve the lives of low- and middle- income people of Bangladesh (everyone except the top-third of the population in terms of annual income). Proposals will be judged by four Harvard University faculty members, in consultation with scholars familiar with Bangladesh.
This global contest is open to any individual in the world. Any compelling essay that establishes a way to improve the lives of low- and middle-income people in Bangladesh is acceptable for submission. The essays will be rated giving equal weights to a) innovative nature of the idea; b) clarity and cogency of argument and writing; c) ease and practicality of implementation; and d) the size of impact.
The author of the winning essay will be awarded the Anwarul Quadir Prize, USD $25,000.
Deadline for submission is June 30, 2008.
1. All entries must propose an innovative and practical way of improving the lives of low- and middle-income people in Bangladesh. Essays not on that topic will not be considered.
2. A title sheet containing the following should accompany each essay:
3. Essays should be no longer than 25 pages, excluding bibliography, table of contents, and any diagrams. Please submit essays in Adobe Acrobat PDF format, using the following specifications:
4. Only individuals may submit essays for consideration. Submissions from organizations will not be considered. Essays by multiple authors (up to 3) will be accepted. We will not accept multiple entries from any individual or team.
5. Essays submitted for consideration must be your own work. The Center for International Development and Harvard University have no obligation to provide feedback on submissions. Harvard and the Center retain the right to make public any entry so long as proper credit is given to the authors. Essays will not be returned.
The winner of the competition will receive the Anwarul Quadir Prize, USD $25,000. The winner will be responsible for any tax implications associated with this prize.
The entry deadline is June 30, 2008 at 12:00 Midnight (US Eastern Standard Time). Essays should be submitted via email to email@example.com.
A committee of Harvard faculty members will choose the winning essay. The Anwarul Quadir Foundation has no influence in the selection process. Winners will be notified by November 15, 2008.
All competition rules and guidelines are subject to change.
Submissions, questions and requests for more information should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.